Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gettin' Spooky Challenge

The challenge this week at Heart 2 Heart is to create something Halloween inspired. I made a Halloween card last week so I wanted to make something different this week. I decided to have a go at making some hexagon stacking boxes. I found a template online at Evil Mad Scientist and printed it at 90%, 100% and 110% to get the three different sizes.

I made them three different colors and put different decorations on each box. I also used a different technique on each box. The bottom box has 6 different jack-o-lanterns which I "rock and rolled". To do this ink the entire stamp in the lightest color. Before stamping it on the paper "roll" the edges of the stamp in a darker color and then gently huff on the stamp to remoisten and stamp on the paper. Depending on what colors you use it dramatically changes the look. I was going for very subtle so I used Goldrush and Autumn Terracota.

On the middle box I used a technique that I have been wanting to try but haven't done before. I embossed with glitter. This is a great way to get that glitter to really "stick" on your project. Mix 2 parts embossing powder to 1 part glitter. Ink and stamp an image with Versa Mark and sprinkle with the glitter embossing powder. This is so much fun! It's hard to see in the picture but the bats, and cauldrons really sparkle and appear to have lots of color even though they are black. The glitter really add lots of fun sparkle.

On the top box I colored the fun monster from Party Animal with a blending pen and ink pads. This is a great way to mix colors and add highlighting.

I will fill the box with some halloween treats for my son. I thought he would enjoy a special box just for him :)


2 comments:

  1. So cute, Kim! What a great 3-D project! Love the colors and those cute little adornments on the sides! Thanks for playing along with us at Heart 2 Heart challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable project! Thanks for playing along with H2H!

    ReplyDelete

Check out my website for more artwork and inspiration!